Sorry for the pause in blogdom. Kristen and Becky pointed out my absence and I promised to get this out there. The last week has been busy with Mom and Dad visiting, play dates four days a week, Memorial weekend parties and potlucks, and trying to put together the chicken run.
Speaking of the chicken run, it kicked my butt yesterday. On Sunday, while Adam was at work (he was on call this weekend) and Clara was sleeping, I sunk two posts near the coop and wired all of the sides of the run with kennel wire. Then I left it when Clara woke up and thought about how I was going to make a gate into it. I thought that I would just be able to go back on Monday and put the gate up with Adam’s help.
On Monday morning, with Clara at playschool (can I say I love our playschool days?), Adam helped me to make a gate out of wood, staple wire to it, and hinge it to the coop. Then we tried to close the gate. The post it was supposed to attach to was crooked. No problem, I thought. I’ll just raise the coop in the back about three inches and that will fix it. No luck.
The next logical thing to try was to take out the post and re-sink it into the ground straight. So, I unwired all the wire on it, pulled it out, and we re-sledge hammered it down straight. It was definitly straight when we sunk it. So, we put the wire back on, trimmed it up, and closed the gate… or didn’t, as the gate still didn’t close. Damn it!
At this point I unwired the wire again, while singing a song to myself mostly made up of the F-word to the tune of “Jingle Bells.” It made me feel better. A little bit. Adam of course got paged into work at this point and I was on my own. I yet again pulled the post out and re-sunk it into the ground straight. Then I pulled the wire over. It no longer fit. I couldn’t stretch it any further because that would cause the post to move, which would cause the gate not to close. Which was what I was trying to fix. Arggghhhh!
As tears streamed down my face in frustration, and the “Jingle Bells” song turned into a long stream of just plain cursing, I cut a new section of kennel wire to repair the problem. I wired it to the section that was too short, attached that to the post and (THANK GOD!) the gate closed!!
To celebrate, I went and grabbed the girls (Curry, Maize, and Buffalo) and threw them in in run. They liked it, and pecked around happily for the rest of the afternoon. This is until Adam mowed the lawn by them, and Maize and Buffalo spooked and flew out the top where I hadn’t quite finished wiring it down. Oops. Its still a work in progress, but I think, make that hope, that the hardest part is over.