Sometimes its the littlest things that I do as a mother that make my kids the happiest and my life the easiest. This is one of those things. It was a huge breakthrough. Wait for it….
I created a snack box in the fridge.
I know. You are just blown away by this. I don’t know why I hadn’t thought of this before. Probably every mother that reads this blog already has one. But I didn’t and my little girl likes her snacks. Boy, does she ever. And I could spend my entire day giving her snack options and making and serving them.
But no longer! Since Clara has figured out how to open the refrigerator herself, I made a tupperware full of snack options and put it in the bottom of the fridge where she can get to it, look inside and choose for herself. Momma doesn’t have to be a part of the decision at all! Its brilliant!
I do try to have a variety of choices available for her each day (fruit, veggie, and healthy whole grain carbs). If she eats all the carbs, then she has to move on to the veggies or fruit, so I don’t really even have to monitor all that much, just restock at the end of the day.
Here are our favorite snacking options:
- Yellow or red bell pepper slices
- Carrot sticks
- Cucumber sticks
- Grape tomatoes (or even better, tomatoes from the garden)
- Blue berries
- Apple slices
- Whole peach
- Whole pear
- Mini muffins (We like these blueberries ones a ton!)
- Homemade granola bars (I like these ones with dried blueberries and pecans for the nuts)
- Trisuits (they’re whole wheat!)
- Leftover homemade pizza slices
- Alphabet cookies (I like the Trader Joes ones that have no high fructose corn syrup)
- Rice cakes
- Popcorn (I know, its a choking hazard)
- String cheese (okay, this isn’t a carb, but I didn’t feel like creating a new category)
I’m sure that you all can add a ton of good snacking ideas that I have neglected to mention, but these are our ultimate favorites!